** Candidates can be located in Annapolis, MD area, Boulder, CO area or MN.**
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Real Estate and Compliance (“Senior Manager”) but may also receive direct assignments from the Legal Department’s attorneys. The position will have primary responsibility for (a) preparing standard real estate documentation such as Leases, Purchase and Sale Agreements, Easements, SNDAs etc., and (b) review and clearing of all title matters arising in connection with project site control. New Energy Equity is a fast-paced and rapidly growing company, so this position will be expected to work independently and meet scheduled completion dates. Typical duties shall include but not be limited to:
- Real Estate
- Assist with creating, improving, and implementing systems, processes and procedures needed to manage a large and growing real estate portfolio with rapid deal flow and help the Company to function effectively as it rapidly grows and expands
- Review title commitments, reports, related exceptions and related documentation and identify to Senior Manager potential risks and impediments to project development
- Assist attorneys with the negotiation of standard form real estate documents such as leases, easements and purchase agreements
- Assist with procuring non-disturbance agreements from landowner mortgage lenders, tenant farmers, and from other solar developers and mineral owners
- Draft, proof and/or revise documents as requested by Senior Manager
- Being prepared to advise business units on risks posed by encumbrances on real estate and similar matters
- Perform legal research as needed and requested
- Research and advise on licensing requirements and processes
- Assist with revamping of standard-form documents and standard operating procedures for the Company
- Maintain files pursuant to company filing and records retention policies
- Other tasks as assigned by Senior Manager, or Attorneys
- Qualifications and Candidate Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field mandatory. Paralegal certification from an ABA-accredited institution preferred.
- A minimum five to eight years’ experience at a law firm, title/mortgage company, bank or other energy company, specifically in real estate.
- Previous experience in some aspect of the renewable energy industry preferred, with direct solar energy industry experience a plus.
- In-depth knowledge and comprehension of title insurance policies and endorsements
- Ability to read and comprehend ALTA surveys
- Understanding of sophisticated financing transactions, including tax equity and sale leaseback transactions, and real estate diligence required to support said financing
- Desired Personal Characteristics:
- Enthusiasm for learning – proven ability to develop expertise quickly
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, with ever-changing focus and responsibilities
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and team-oriented personality
- Proven track record and experience in drafting substantive legal documents and agreements
- Strong decision-making abilities and meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work independently
Founded in 2013, New Energy Equity develops and finances solar power generation assets, providing clean electricity to commercial, industrial, municipal, and utility customers under long-term contracts. New Energy Equity, a wholly owned subsidiary of ALLETE (NYSE:ALE), has successfully developed over 330MW of solar projects and closed more than $600M in clean energy investments. The company was ranked as the 7th Top Solar Developer and the 8th Top Solar Contractor on Solar Power World’s “2021 Top Solar Contractors” list and voted one of the fastest-growing energy companies in D.C., Maryland, and Virginia by Inc. Magazine. To learn more, visit http://www.newenergyequity.com.